Pottery lesson #4

We’ve done the drawing bit. Now we’re back into the clay. We built a figure directly from life so Sue our model looked a little like this.



These are now slowly drying prior to firing in the Raku kiln. But we’re not doing this until June 😦


Re-padding the dog beds

Sometimes creativity isn’t just about making something beautiful, it’s about saving some money.

I couldn’t tell you how many dog beds I have in the house. Maybe six, maybe nine, with another in the car. Some are medium, some are large, the odd small one and a couple of old cushions that the greyhound loves*


What I do know is that they’re all old, a bit worse for wear and very flat. Replacing them all would cost a fortune and really there is nothing wrong with the covers that another good wash won’t sort out.

A trip to the local supermarket for some inexpensive duvets, a sharp pair of scissors, needle and cotton and some time can solve the problem.


The result is huge, puffy, soft beds and happy dogs.


*all the covers are still in the wash or drying – again. They insist on eating their raw meaty bones on their beds.

A new coil pot

I have an idea for this pot. I’m very inspired by Carol Long pottery so I’m hoping this will turn out as strikingly organic as her creations.


Ha ha! I wish…

So I’ve got as far as this. I’ve a long way to go. Pun not intended πŸ™‚


I’ve done a lot more to this pot but I haven’t been updating my post.


I flipped the base of the pot over so that I could build the feet. Rather than try to create equally similar feet I was inspired by Carol Long to do something completely different.


As soon as the feet were dry and able to support the weight and flipped the pot back over to continue its build.


After further drying I was able to cut away the original base to expose the hollow feet.


The pot is growing considerably larger than I think I initially planned. It’s also drying quicker than planned, an issue caused by unforeseen delays in construction. It’s also developing a pronounced bottom…complete with cellulite.


I had no idea what I was going to make when I made this pepper. A lumpy vase started to form in my hands. Rather than immediately smooth the lumps out I smoothed between them and started to see a pepper forming. A pot with a lid perhaps? The stalk could be the lid. A pepper pot!


I burnished the pepper with a lightbulb and spent some more time smoothing the lid into the pepper. To do this, to stop the lid from sticking in, I covered the pepper with cling film so that I could remove the lid.

At each stage if hardening I burnished the pepper again and again to make sure it was as smooth as the real thing.

I’m still undecided on how to glaze this pepper. If the glazes aren’t realistic in colour, I make have to go for monochrome instead. It hasn’t been bisque fired yet so plenty of time to ponder.


Here it is. I’ll add the glaze info later for my own reference.

Fingers crossed now. It’s on the shelf ready for firing.

I’ve completely forgotten which glazes I used. I know they’re earthenware, and I know one is maroon… That’s it. Oops.

I also need to tip the bucket of glaze before I dip to make sure it’s deeper for more coverage.





I’m in love with temari.

Japanese string balls (that originated in ancient China).

There are a number if ways to make the ball, I use left over yarn (a great way to control my stash) wound into a tight ball, then I wind cotton around the ball until the yarn is completely covered.


Then I choose the pattern and the thread.

Ta dah!


Isn’t it beautiful?

I can’t wait to get stuck into some more πŸ™‚

Coil pot

I’ve tried thumb pots in the Drop In, and I’ve tried hump moulds. I needed to try a coil pot.

Inspired by some beautiful pots on Pinterest.


I didn’t realise this pot would take so long. You have to let it dry periodically so that the pot doesn’t collapse on itself through the weight of damp clay.




Dried and ready to fire.


..along with a small bottle made with thumb pots.

Some bowls.

I’ve seen some beautiful bowls on Pinterest (my newest addiction) with glazing on the inside, leaving the outer shell plain white and unadorned.

I had a disaster when trying to remove the first from its hump mould so had to do some carving to hide the breakage. The second one was easier.

They’re still slowly drying before the first firing.


I’m still clueless about glazing.

Pottery #3

Another lesson based on drawing. This time we tried biro and pastels.


This one was with biro. I’m not sure about biro as a medium. It’s unforgiving compared to pencil. I struggled a lot with the top of the legs on this angle because the model was wearing matt black underwear meaning I couldn’t see the shape of her body underneath.

This angle was easier as I was unable to ignore her underwear and see through it. I think it’s overworked though, which was easy to do when you’re waiting for the rest of the class to catch up. I must learn to stop fiddling. This is my first attempt at pastels and I think I like them.


First pottery lesson

Great fun. As a nice breaker we split into two teams and each team had just five minutes to make a figure.


I modelled the head.

We then had to pose the figure to show emotion and with the use of a prop begin to tell a story.

The pose was my idea. πŸ™‚



Really good fun.

Next week we’re drawing a life model so that we can understand anatomy and movement.